Wednesday, August 23, 2006

1st Day of School...

Today was my very first day with the students. It went pretty well. I know it's only the first day, but I seem to have a decent class. My class list got changed yesterday, so now I have eight students that I had two years ago in third grade. It makes me feel really good because all of these parents called the Principal last week and requested me to be their child's teacher. Well, the Principal made both the parents and the students write her a letter stating why they were requesting me. I had no idea until today that the Principal did this. So several parents and students wrote letters...I would love to see what they wrote about me! :) I believe I'm going to have a really good year...maybe the best one yet. Fifth graders are at such an awesome age...getting hormonal and attitudinal at times, but still impressionable. I have 28 children on my class list...I hope it doesn't grow too much.

Tomorrow starts the "real" stuff...teaching, textbooks, and homework. Although, I did give out homework today. I know, I'm such a stinker! As a first day assignment each year, I have the students write me a "letter of introduction." I give them specific things to write about, as well as let them tell me all about their likes, dislikes, etc. It gives me a chance to get to know them better, as well as gives me a clue as to what their writing ability is like. Then, as a treat back to them, I always respond to their letters and write back to them.

I'll keep you posted on the rest of the week...

No comments: