Friday, August 25, 2006

Update on Olivet & my 1st Week of School...

I finally received more information regarding Olivet's doctoral program. There will be an information meeting held on Olivet's campus October 19th. So of course I plan on attending that meeting. I also found out that the program consists of meeting at Olivet's satellite campus in Rolling Meadows, IL one weekend (Fri-Sat) per month, as well as meeting at Olivet's main campus in Bourbonnais, IL for 7-10 days each summer. The rest of the time is independent work done from home. From what I hear, this is common for most educational doctoral degrees. I am very excited about attending the informational meeting on October 19th. Please still keep me in your prayers regarding this HUGOMPTIOUS decision! (Do you like my made up word??)

A recap on my first week of school...overall, I am very satisfied with how it went. I never particularly enjoy the first day of school because I find myself having the students participate in a bunch of mindless ice-breaker activities. But I don't want to be an "uncool" teacher and start teaching out of the math or reading book on the first half-day of school. :) haha Yesterday and today were a bit better, as I was able to start my organized routine. The students are quickly learning how neat and organized their 5th grade teacher is this year...it never takes them long. I have a few talkers...pretty much my entire first row of students are non-stop talkers, but I don't seem to have any bullies or disrespectful children. I think I have a decent group of students this year.

Several parents requested me after the school year started, so I had a few students transfer to my room this week. The principal required these parents to write her a letter stating the reasons why they wanted their children transferred to my room. My principal allowed me to make copies of the letters. They were very nice; the letters made me feel like I am truly fulfilling the purpose of being the teacher that God called me to be when I was just 5 years old. It is amazing, after 5 years of teaching, to see the differences that I am making in children's lives. And I give God all the glory...I would not be able to get through each school year without His help.

It's the weekend...the part of the week that every teacher looks forward to (no matter how great his/her students are). :) I look forward to spending some much needed quality time with CJ this weekend, as well as with Adrian and Leif tomorrow night. Have a blessed weekend everyone!!!

2 comments:

Bipin Sen said...

i wanna know the highlights of those letters! don't be modest!! :-)

Kathy said...

Yes we want to hear what they said.
Yes, glad to hear school went well.
Yes, I like the new word, you should write to oxford about it!
and Yes I like to use the word yes.