I attended a "Guided Reading" workshop today at the Hilton hotel in Oak Lawn. Not only was it a great day away from school, but the speaker was hilarious and kept us all entertained. I just had to share one funny story in particular about a little first-grade boy.
The speaker's sister is a first-grade teacher, and one day one of her little boy's went over to his cubby and began putting his coat and boots on. The teacher walked up to this little boy and said, "Sweetie, what are you doing?" The little boy replied, "I'm going home. I always go home at this time." The teacher said, "But it's not time to go home yet; we haven't even eaten lunch." The little boy responded with, "But I always go home at this time; I'm leaving now." The teacher smiled and enthusiastically said, "Oh, I think I know what's going on. Last year when you were in kindergarten, you only stayed a half day, so you left before lunch. But now you're a big first grade boy, so you get to stay the whole day!" The little boy stopped, put his hands on his hips, and asked, "Well, who the heck signed me up for this???"
I just found that story so amusing! Of course she related the story to our teaching jobs...we don't get to "sign up" for the students that will be in our room, the curriculum that we will teach, or the mounds of hours we put in above our paid time. I liked the connection...
3 comments:
That is so funny, I can see Connor doing that one day, his poor teachers!
uhhh.. wait a second... you actually get paid to do what you do? :-)
that's hilarious! kids say the greatest things!
Post a Comment