Sunday, April 29, 2007

My Belated Birthday Celebration Downtown...


~Yes, I see you CJ! You can't hide from the camera!~

~The famous Cloud Gate, aka The Bean, by Anish Kapoor. Some of the skyline is visible from the angle that I took this picture. This is actually my first time visiting "The Bean," and I did find it neat. ~

~I am not hugely into flowers...I like them, but I'm not one to take pictures of them. However, as we were walking on Michigan Avenue yesterday, I couldn't help but notice these bright yellow flowers that just kept seeming to spiral around the inside. Does anyone know what type of flowers these are??? ~

~Waiting at the Hammond South Shore train station...enjoying the beautiful sunshine!~

~Don't smile too hard babe!~

~A nice stranger offered to take our picture together in front of The Bean. You can actually see her reflection in the background (red shirt and jeans with a hat on). We don't get a lot of pictures together when it's just the two of us.~

~Here I am being silly...taking a picture of our reflection.~

~This, of course, is the interactive Crown Fountain, by Jaume Plensa. No, CJ and I did not brave the waters below and play in it...but I did enjoy the plethora of kids having a good time splashing around.~

~An art sculpture.~

~I found Mark di Suvero's art pieces in the South Boeing Gallery of Millenium Park interesting. Pictured above is Yoga, a 29'6" tall sculpture.~

~The Crown Fountain again.~

~The second Mark di Suvero sculpture in the South Boeing Gallery, Shang, a 25' tall sculpture where we watched several people climb inside and swing back and forth.~



My most favorite place to be around here is in the heart of the city. I don't get to go downtown too much, but when I do, I take it all in! Since it was my birthday, I chose to spend our time in Chicago. God blessed us with such beautiful weather...no rain...just warm sunshine! We took the train to Millenium Park, walked to Cheesecake Factory for dinner (mmm!), and then headed back to the park for awhile before the train took us home again. The next time I go downtown, I want to see di Suvero's remaining two sculptures in the North Boeing Gallery, as well as the Lurie Garden. I have all spring/summer, so I'm sure I'll get down there a few more times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really did have a beautiful day! The flower may be a form of rose, but I am not sure. I am glad you had a good time!! Hopefully we can get together soon!

Anonymous said...

belated happy birthday!

in case you were unaware, our homegroup's current blog page - with schedule - is http://thebestlifesharegroupever.blogspot.com/

hope to see you two soon!

-ScottJ.