*I think I am safe to assume that those of you who truly know my heart know that my intent is never to hurt anyone's feelings, put anyone down, or "rub" anyone the wrong way. And those of you who know me well also know there are not many issues that get me fired up, but when they do, I feel very passionate about speaking out on the issue's behalf. :) So without intending to hurt anyone's feelings, allow me to speak out on behalf of all of the two-year-olds out there (and quite frankly, every other age group that spans from birth to death)...
Terrible Twos...We've all heard this old cliche more times than we care to remember in reference to children who are getting ready to enter the age of TWO. As a parent of an almost two-year-old, I have been told something along the lines of, "Get ready for the Terrible Twos" quite a few times recently. I have tried to pleasantly skirt around the issue, but I feel it is only fair to defend these little two-year-olds and see what God has to say about them.
My post is certainly not to insinuate that my (almost) two-year-old is better than anyone else's two-year-old out there...because I can assure you she is not. My post is also not to put anyone down who has used this cliche in the past or who might be currently labeling their child in that category. However, why do we, as Christians, allow the world to dictate to us how our children are "supposed" to be at various age levels? While I am no expert at parenting (and if you are, please feel free to clue me in), I serve a God who is. He inspired men to write the Bible that includes God's expertise on children and parenting. I truly believe that it's time we, as Christians, refute how the world labels our children and start looking to God's word for the answers. God's word never once labels a child, at any age, as terrible. Does this mean that our two-year-olds will never have a terrible moment? Of course not! We, as adults, have terrible moments. It's called selfishness and sin...no one is above it.
Some of you reading this might think, "Calm down Lori, it's just a phrase. We don't really think our children are terrible." And I would never assume that any parent feels their children are terrible...but I do believe that there is power is our words. Our tongue can be used to speak life or death. What will we choose to speak when our children continue to test us to our limits? Will we shrug our shoulders and say, "It must be the age they are going through," or will we speak life into them through God's word? And trust me, this post is a challenge to me as well. I can only imagine how Trin will test me in the future. But how I will choose to respond to her testing is what will be so vital to her life.
I found a few verses that I am sure everyone is familiar with that I want to share so that the next time someone tells you to "watch out and get ready for the next stage of your child's life," you can choose to believe God's wonderful promises instead...
(All verses are taken from the New Living Translation)
Psalm 127:3 - Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.
Psalm 139:13-16 - You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
Isaiah 54:13 - I will teach all your children, and they will enjoy great peace.
***Matthew 18:10 - Beware that you don't look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly father.
***This last verse really speaks volumes to me, personally. I honestly believe that Triniti sees her angels. From a very, very young age, she would point to various places in her room and say, "Angels." When she is asked, "Triniti, where are your angels?," she responds by moving her arm in a circular motion and saying, "All around." On more than one occasion, we have been either at someone's house or out in public and she has pointed and said, "Angels" completely on her own. Let's not underestimate the power of what God can do in even the littlest children. I believe that God uses our children to teach us a thing or two as well. Let's start speaking life into our children, uplifting them and encouraging them in Christ.
4 comments:
Lori, thank you for this post! Since Braden was 18 months old he has "tested" me and everyone told me it was the "terrible twos". What I failed to realize (until now) is that I can give in to it or do something about it with the help of our Heavenly Father.
No child is perfect, but with prayer and God's help and guidance, I know I can be the mother He wants me to be for my children. With that being said, Braden will be leaving the "terrific twos" soon and will be entering into the world of the "tremendous threes". I honestly can't wait to see how great it will be!
Well said, Lori.
For years, I have waited for your sister to write a book... now I anxiously await YOURS, as well!! You have such a gift for writing, Lori!!
On a side note, neither Shannon or you ever went through the "two's stage"... I firmly believe (as do you) that it IS what (you) make it to be and if (you) look for the positive in each stage of a child's life, it will be found.
Lastly, I am honored to be your mom... you are such a wonderful, Godly mommy to Triniti and I am so proud of you!!
Hey Lor~ Spent some time catching up on your posts tonight :) I so agree with you here! Kaity has a much different personality than Miranda...she is more stubborn, has a bigger temper, and also, is full of passion! I love that about her, and when people mention what a handful she must be, I say I'm not claiming that for her. I see how sweet and loving and joyful she is "the other half" of the time, and I know it is my job as the woman God blessed to be her mommy to teach her how to balance her attributes.
God bless Trin & her awesome mom!
Post a Comment