Friday, August 17, 2007

Introducing my Little "Flit..."


Here you have it...my little Flit. Once I saw my baby's heartbeat beating extremely fast on the screen today, it immediately reminded me of how fast the little birdy's wings were fluttering on the character, Flit, in Pocahontas! So I knew right away what I was going to name my baby. Read on to hear the entire story of my first ultrasound experience...
I will begin by saying that I have never in my life been a big drinker, so to be forced to drink 32 ounces of water in 30 minutes and then to be expected to hold that all in for the next hour and a half is the most ludicrous thing I have ever experienced in my life. We were about half way to the clinic this morning, when I burst into tears because I was in so much pain from having to hold the water in. CJ and my Mom were praying for me (God bless them), and CJ was really trying to encourage me that "I could do it." I was shaking pretty bad and the pain just kept getting worse and worse. When CJ asked if it would be okay to stop somewhere and just relieve the pressure a bit, that was all I needed to hear to scream, "YES!!!" So we stopped at a Dunkin Donuts and I barely made it to the restroom. I did feel better, and we were on our way once again to the clinic. We prayed the rest of the way there that the people at the clinic wouldn't notice that I had cheated and then send me home.
The ultrasound began successfully...and then the technician started pressing down on my lower abs. I could feel the pressure build up once again, and she must have noticed my tension because she asked if I was okay. I told her the pressure I was feeling, and after she worked a little bit more, she allowed me to get up and use the restroom. After that, she was able to finish the ultrasound and then had me use the restroom again. She then went on to the second part of the exam and immediately said, "Your bladder is still full!" So I politely offered to use the restroom for the fourth time, and she agreed. Once the exam was over, I used the restroom for the fifth time, and then about 15 minutes after we left the clinic, we had to stop at a different Dunkin Donuts to use the restroom for the sixth (and final) time. I am just wondering if every other woman out there has had similar experiences as mine?!? I have never before in my life been so happy to see a restroom six times in less than two hours' time!
On to the good stuff...
Seeing my baby on the computer screen was amazing! And to see how fast the heart was beating?? Awesome! I just laid there in awe as I stared at my baby inside of me...it was priceless! My baby is approximately 2.9 centimeters long and is 7 weeks old (I'm 9 weeks along). Once again, I am just amazed at God's creation of life...especially now that a life is growing inside of me. I do look forward to my second and final ultrasound around Thanksgiving, although I can assure you right now that I will not hesitate to stop at a Dunkin Donuts on the way to help me get through the procedure! Clearly doing that today did not affect my ultrasound in any way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! I wish I could say it gets better, but unfortunately it doesn't. By the time you are 9 months pregnant you want to pee every 5 seconds! :) It is totally worth it though! Flit is adorable! Your experience is bringing me back to a year ago when it was me in your shoes! It is amazing how these little beings grow inside of us! It truly is a blessing from God!

Kelly B said...

Hey sweets! God bless you guys and little Flit! Isn't it a beautiful experience?

For the next ultrasound, you won't have to drink as much water, though there might be less room in your bladder. Do what you have to do. You're tiny and everyone is different and it obviously worked out. (Incidentally, drinking that much that fast just makes me feel like gagging!)

Thanks for sharing the pictures, and let me know if you and your mom have time for coffee or something before she heads back...

Kathy said...

Yeah that is not fun that drinking water.... don't worry the next time u won't need to drink as much. By the end of the pregnancy going to the toilet often is normal...ha ha.

I love the pic tho, how sweet your little baby is. I hope all goes well still from here on.

Bipin Sen said...

I like the new background! Very cool! And hey... great picture! From what I can tell... Hehe. ;-)